Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Monastero San Silvestro

Today, instead of me practicing my Italiano, I got to help someone practice their English, which made me feel really good that I could give back to someone while I was here (considering how helpless I am when it comes to conveying a message across to the locals). Alice, myself and Donato paid a visit to his cottage that he rents out for travelers and he got to give us a tour in English and to listen to us girls babble in english as well.

The "cottage" was actually a monastery for men in medieval times (I may have my year wrong so don't quote me on it) and converted into an apartment style hotel for families or groups traveling together.







American books! I spy a Kurt Vonnegut book and a Fitzgerald. 



It was a nice tour and it made me really miss my spring break last year and this past summer when I got to stay at Parker's ranch and my cousin's chicken farm. Camping is now on my to-do list before I leave Italy (if any one is brave enough to endure this cold with me that is)!

A selfie with a little flower that Donato picked up for Alice and myself!

Anyway, if you ever find yourself in Cortona, check this neat place out!


"I once asked a hermit in Italy how he could venture to live alone, in a single cottage, on the top of a mountain, a mile from any habitation? He replied, that Providence was his next-door neighbor."
-Laurence Sterne



No comments:

Post a Comment