Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Firenze

This was my second time in Firenze (Florence) but I was still as awestruck as I was my very first time! It's strange how familiar somethings seemed yet so very foreign! I tried to take less pictures and to just enjoy what I was walking into but I had this compulsion to document every aspect of the visit. Going to seriously try to work on that!

(The photo above is Michelangelo's tomb,and the statues are his three muses: painting, sculpting and architecture.)



Laura, our tour guide, showed us around the San Lorenzo Market, Santa Croce (where the most influential italians are buried, such as Galileo, Michelangelo, and Da Vinci)  and the Palazzo Vecchio (the palace belonged to the Medici family).  


After the tour, the school fed us lunch at Trattoria del Pennello via Dante and I was so happy to finally have pasta that was DRENCHED in sauce. The tortellini was deeeelish and the chicken in the second course was yummy as well. I need to start realizing that there are more than one course every time I eat now and that I have to take the second course pictures!


I told our waiter in Italian (or so I tried) that he looked like Tony Stark aka Iron Man aka Robert Downey Junior and he was so happy that when we were leaving the restaurant, he grabbed my wrist and directed me down to the kitchen area (I was kind of freaking out because I wasn't sure what exactly was happening) to have me tell the cook/owner what I said about him. It was a fun moment.





For the rest of the day, our group just decided to have a chill day and not shop in the market. We got gelato at Perche No and had cappuccinos (my first coffee art!) at La Cantinetta di Dante e Beatrice and relaxed.



It was a very overwhelming day in Florence. I didn't feel like I could enjoy it to its fullest potential because the whole day was completely planned for us and there wasn't a lot of leisure time. This was the day I learned about "museum fatigue." I also learned that I should always go to the restroom before I trek on a 2 hour train ride back to Castiglion because I will have to hold myself not only for the train ride but for the hike back up to Santa Chiara as well!

Until next time!


“And the voices in the waves are always whispering to Florence, in their ceaseless murmuring, of love - of love, eternal and illimitable, not bounded by the confines of this world, or by the end of time, but ranging still, beyond the sea, beyond the sky, to the invisible country far away!”
 - Charles Dickens



No comments:

Post a Comment