Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Assisi: San Francesco e Santa Chiara


As someone who has never really known anything about San Francesco (Saint Francis), Assisi was just going to be a normal town with normal expectations. Many people told me I would love this town but I only assumed I would because I have come to realized that I am much more receptive to the smaller more intimate towns. Assisi also housed the Basillica di Santa Chiara, who is the namesake of my home in Castiglion Fiorentino.



My first reaction to this beautiful open piazza was if I could just sit there and have lunch. The ground itself was a work of art and truly completed the exterior for me. Our tour guide was Muara who toured us in Orvieto and I was excited to hear what interesting things she had to say. I learned so much about Saint Francis, his principles, and why he is so important not just to the Catholic faith but to all of Christianity as well. He also was the friar that started the Franciscan order (split into three orders - one being the Capuchin) that created the Capuchin Skeleton Crypt that I saw in Rome. He also was documented as the first person to receive the stigmata. He really did lead an extraordinary life of three virtues: Chasity  poverty, and obedience which is represented by the friars three knots on the rope around their waist.


In the Santa Chiara basillica, we got to see the relics of Santa Chiara and San Francesco. their robes, his shoes during the stigmata, and her hair were some of the cool relics displayed.

Muara also showed us some "sexy frescos" but really they were just creatures urinating or defecating. Cool story, bro.

Shenell and I with our beautiful angel of a tour guide!

... and then this gem.


We also "hiked" to the tower in Assisi and climbed its walls. 

In Assisi, I bought a wax stamp with my initial on it. It was an impulse buy but I can't wait to use it on graduation invitations or other celebrations that I'll have in the future. I got a maroon and bronze wax and a gold shimmer to highlight the wax. I also got a fat little Capuchin friar mug that I adore. No pictures since I wrapped it up and refuse to open it, but believe me when I say it's a cute chubby thing.

This is Max and he is almost as tall and as big as I am but he was so sweet!

Assisi was a beautiful town but I enjoyed it much more after learning about Saint Francis. His life makes you stop and think about what truly is important in life, which is living humbly (we are so caught up in the price of our experiences that we are not truly enjoying it) and living for other people. I really hope anyone who travels to Italy stops and visits Assisi and the Basillica di San Francesco.

“The deeds you do may be the only sermon some persons will hear today”  ― St. Francis of Assisi

No comments:

Post a Comment